Now that we are all full with delicious food and have spent some time with friends and family, many will start to think about holiday gift giving. In order to get the gifts, many people were up shopping early this morning at the malls and chain stores. Maybe it is time to mix it up a little bit this holiday season?
- Consider making your own gifts! I love receiving handmade gifts; they are so special.
- If you are not the crafty or creative type, then please consider buying handmade for the holidays this year. Here is a link with a list of reasons why buying handmade makes sense.
It feels good to support local and independent artists. I received an order through my Etsy shop this evening and the customer said “always glad to spend locally!” It turns out that the customer address is right near my office. So not only is she satisfied with spending her money locally, but she is going to have the item hand delivered and her shipping fee refunded!
Looking for some ideas or places to pick up awesome gifts from local or independent artists?
- Etsy ! There are thousands of shops on Etsy selling anything you can dream of…. Use the “Shop Local” tool to find an artist near you. Or use the color tool, or the category listing… there are many ways to search.
- Holiday Craft Shows! This is a great way to check out some of the amazing items being made in your area. Check your local paper and holiday listings to find out more.
Upcoming shows for Yinz in Pittsburgh (Stop by and say hello to me!)
* I Made It! Market
December 6th, 12-5 PM
Union Project * 801 North Negley Ave * Pittsburgh, PA
* Holiday Arts & Crafts Show
Sunday, December 7th
CC Mellor Library * 1 Penwood Place * Pittsburgh, PA
CityCraft Handmade Holiday Happy Hour Market
Thursday, December 18th, 2008, 5-9 PM
Navarra (next to Bossa Nova) 131 Seventh Street (Downtown)
Bazaar Bizarre- Cleveland
Sat. Dec. 13th (12 PM- 9 PM)
Sun. Dec. 14th (12 PM- 6 PM)
78th Street Studios: 1300 W. 78th St to 1305 W. 80th St., North parking lot, North entrance — accessible from W. 78th OR W 80th St.
Rhode Island Folks
235 Westminster Street, Providence, RI
Craftland 2008 will be open 7 days a week from December 5-24, 2008.
SEARCHING FOR HANDMADE GIFTS?
On your quest to find the perfect handmade gift, check out some of these shops. You can always stop by my shop, garbella, too!
Here are some of my friends’ shops and shops that I love for you to check out:
- Awesome Photographs by my friend Matt Dayak
- Recycled Notebooks by Subu
- Recycled and new fabric fashions- fingerless gloves and scarves- Xmittens
- Amazing Jewelry by Mel McCabe
- Beautiful buttons from Tabyn McCabe/ buttonbee